Storing and Packing Tips
It can be overwhelming preparing your belongings for storage, especially if it’s your first time renting. However, with decades of experience under our belts, we’ve come to know a thing or two about self storage. Whether you need to know how to properly pack or store your items, our team at All Aboard Storage is here to offer you some storing and packing tips to make your move-in easier.
Ready to clear space in your Florida home or business? Find your nearest All Aboard Storage location online and get started today!
Knowing What Storage Unit Size and Type You Need
Before you rent out your unit, you’ll need to find out two things about the unit you’re renting. First, what type of storage unit are you looking for? If you have temperature-sensitive belongings to store, then climate-controlled storage is your way to go. There are also various kinds of vehicle parking, such as RV storage and boat storage, for you to choose from as well. Think of your storage needs and get the type of unit that will accommodate those needs.
Next, you’ll need to know the size of the storage unit you’ll need. If you have a few boxes of personal items, then a smaller size storage unit will prove to be optimal. For large, bulky items such as furniture, a larger storage unit is your best bet. Unsure of what size unit you’ll need? Don’t fret! Visit our size guide and space estimator pages to learn what suits you best.
When it comes to self storage, the key to ensuring your belongings don’t get damaged is with proper packing. Here are some helpful tips about how to properly pack your belongings in preparation for storage:
- Seal boxes tightly with packing tape.
- Wrap furniture in bubble wrap or furniture coverings.
- Wipe down and dust items off beforehand.
- Group items together and pack them tightly.
- Label boxes according to contents.
- If you have dressers, utilize drawers for extra storage space.
- Pack heavy items like books and tools in smaller boxes.
- Use plenty of paper and padding for dishes and glasses.
- Hand clothes on hangers in wardrobe boxes.
Once you have your belongings well packed and secure, it’s time to take them to your storage unit!
While it’s tempting to put belongings wherever they fit, there are more efficient and logical ways to store them. Here’s some advice on how to properly store your belongings in self storage:
- Move boxes and items you’ll need sooner to the front.
- Create an aisle near the center to walk through.
- Dismantle furniture if possible to create more space inside the unit.
- Try not to place cardboard boxes directly on the floor. Use padding.
- Heavier items toward the bottom of stacks.
- Certain items, such as photos and mattresses, should lie flat.
- Drain gasoline from engine equipment like lawnmowers.
- Check state laws on what you are and aren’t allowed to store in your unit.
Reach Out to Your Local All Aboard Storage Team Today!
Start your self storage journey today by finding your nearest All Aboard Storage location to rent or reserve your unit online! Have additional questions for us? Visit our FAQ page here for answers to frequently asked questions about self storage.